Monday, August 25, 2008

Are Green Weddings a Fad?

I get a lot of opportunities to talk about With a Flourish. Almost everyone I meet knows someone who is getting married. When I tell a new person about the concept behind the company (eco and fair-trade events) they almost always have a really positive first reaction, and their second reaction is often..."are green weddings kind of a fad?" I don't always have time to put my thoughts properly in words to answer this, so I wanted to address it in today's blog.

Are green weddings a fad? I think that words like "green" and "eco-friendly" might change over time. However, I don't think that the concept behind green weddings will change. Eco-friendly does not necessarily mean informal or homemade, an eco-friendly wedding can also be elegant, formal, retro, traditional...it can be adapted to any theme you can think of. As more wedding planners and brides and grooms search out green alternatives, suppliers will continue to diversify to meet this need.

In our country, we have hybrid cars, green buildings, and companies with green committees to reduce office waste. This will continue to expand to all industries as people recognize the need to use our resources wisely. My hope is that, in ten years With a Flourish will not advertise that it is a "globally minded event management" company, because all companies in the wedding industry and otherwise, will also be globally minded. I don't think that green weddings are a fad, I think they are relatively new, and I am excited to be part of the eco movement expanding in the wedding industry!

What do you think? Are green weddings a fad? Please post comments below!


No comments: