Monday, August 17, 2009

Eco-Friendly Bridesmaid Dresses


A couple of years ago for our youth group Christmas Party, the theme was "Tacky Outfits." My husband and I went to the thrift store (we were leaders by the way, not "youth" lest you think we got married in high school:) and picked out the ugliest, more horrible outfits we could find. The dress I picked was, quite obviously, a bridesmaid dress from the '80s or early '90s. It is entirely cobalt blue, with huge satin-y sleeves, shoulder pads, and a very itchy lace skirt. As I think back on the life of this dress, it makes me a little sad. The dress was obviously designed to make the bride look good and the bridesmaids look ridiculous. I'm sure the poor owner never wore it after the wedding, it ended up in a thrift store where I bought it, wore it to a Tacky Party and everyone laughed at its ugliness.

Bridesmaids dresses have come a long way! Gone are the days of tacky dresses (although we'll see what's hanging on the thrift store racks in 20 years:). Here to stay are beautiful, multipurpose dresses that make bridesmaids feel....pretty! The best of today's dresses are made from organic fabrics and fairly traded. Here's three of my favourites:

From Canadian company Grace & Cello, this dress is 100% organic cotton with a silk lining:


Source

This dress by Stewart + Brown is made of organic crepe cotton. I know it's not too bridesmaid-y, but I love the ruffles:


I'm so happy that long dresses are back in style, and charcoal is so trendy right now. This dress by Kate Organics is made of organic cotton in the USA:



No comments: