Last night, Sears Kildonan Place held a night of games, prizes, and information for their gift registry department. I went and spoke on wedding coordinators and green weddings, and had a great night with the ladies (and a couple guys).
As I was writing my little speech about wedding coordinators, I made a list of things that wedding coordinators do under the heading "take care of unexpected issues that come up." And in every wedding, little things do come up. Here's a list of things that I did this summer:
- Helped a queasy officiant with water and an exit strategy - she was sick on the wedding day.
- Showed up extra early at the church to make adjustments to the flowers - I used flowers I picked from gardens of my family and friends.
- Calmed a couple of super nervous grooms.
- Made sure a chatty bride always had a glass of water in her hand.
- Ushered when the ushers didn't show up on time.
- Fed crackers and water to a groomsman who fainted.
- Went to bat for a bride involved in a dispute with a vendor.
- Served champagne to a room full of wedding guests.
- Changed the timeline when the food was served late.
The list above is things that can't be planned, but occasionally happen. Sometimes a delivery gets lost, a change needs to be made to the timeline, or a contract issue comes up. These are unfortunate circumstances, but hiring a wedding coordinator can save you a lot of little headaches on your wedding day!