Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Knitting a Baby Blanket! (alternate title: I Finished a Craft Project!)

While I was in Bolivia, I picked up this amazing, beautiful baby alpaca wool.  It is seriously soft and amazing.  If you're a knitter that doesn't use natural wool, you should try it - you'll never go back to acrylic.  This post has nothing to do with weddings, by the way, but I wanted to share anyway.

Anyway, I picked up this wool with the intention of making a blanket for my good friend's baby.  This was the biggest knitting project I've ever had, and so I kept the pattern and stiches very simple.  I started knitting in Bolivia, while sitting in the snack shop at the soccer field we managed.  It's pretty easy to knit when you have about 6 hours a day in a confined space, and so I got about halfway, thinking I could do the second half when we returned to Canada, no problem.  Except I got busy.  And then I really really wanted to have the blanket done for the baby shower, and so the day before the shower I started knitting at about 10 am, and knit until 5 am the next morning.  And then slept a couple hours and finished the blanket, and gave myself about 20 minutes to get ready and get out the door for the baby shower.  But the important thing is that the blanket got finished, and I, the queen of unfinished knitting projects, finished something!

Well, last week I posted a video of me in a flash mob, so I suppose the natural next step is pictures of me in my pajamas.  :)  It's noon and I'm putting the finishing touches on the blanket:


  
Finished and ready to go:


Yay!  The thing I love about knitting is that it's easy to pick up and put down, it's a de-stresser and it keeps me creating.  Do you have any hobbies that work as a de-stresser during the busy-ness of wedding planning? 

2 comments:

From The Heart Online said...

Beautiful job!

... my de-stress activities are generally not so productive :)

-Kim

Jess Ehlers said...

Hey Kim! Mine are usually not so productive either... Also, I can fit in a lot of tv watching while knitting :)