Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Eco-Friendly Salon in Winnipeg - Berns & Black

Over the past couple of years I've really become aware of the chemicals that exist in cosmetics and hair products.  I'll write another post next week about what some of these chemicals are and what they do, but for now I just want to talk about the good things that people are doing in the world of hair products.

Back in May, a salon opened in Winnipeg's exchange district called Berns & Black.  Today I stopped in and got an impromptu tour from one of the (very talented) stylists.  The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the beautiful decor - the salon is trendy and comfortable at the same time.  The second thing I noticed - no smell.  Well, a bit of a smell, but a light fresh smell.  None of the strong, chemical smell that usually lives in salons.  Why not?  Because Berns & Black is eco-friendly.  They use organic hair dyes, alternative nail treatments, and sugaring instead of waxing all to cut down on chemicals.  They also sell a product line called Onesta, which has no harmful ingredients.  Today, I bought the hairspray, and it has a light coconut-y smell.  I almost feel like it won't work because I won't emerge from the bathroom in a cloud of stench anymore, (as if the smell had something to do with the effectiveness) but I'm sure it will be fantastic!

If you are looking for a stylist for your wedding day hair (or every day hair), check out Berns & Black at 468 Main Street.

No comments: