Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

I am not a cookie person.  Give me chips, veggies and dip or anything salty and I'm all there, but sweet snacks are generally not my thing.  However.  My sister-in-law, Char, has been making these delicious chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for years, and I love them.  Like, I can eat six and still want more, they are that delicious.  And they're the perfect cookies to whip up for a birthday party, hostess gift, or kid-friendly dessert. Char kindly agreed to bake the cookies and take pictures, and write us a blog post and share her recipe for today!  Enjoy!


 Photos of the wonderful cookies:

And my lovely niece cooking lunch:
 From Char:

I've heard the adage "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach".  But over the years I have come to realize how relational food can be.  As I have had the opportunity to share meals with friends, family, and acquaintances, I have learned that the least invasive way to get into someone's life is to ask them to share a meal with you.  As you work together in the kitchen preparing a meal, or sit down together you share something simple yet profound with one another....your time.  I have had the joy of spending time with people around a table talking about our lives, struggles, and achievements.  How wonderful!

Although cookies are not a meal per say, I think they have become a social tool for us as a family.  We bake side by side in the kitchen, sharing time and space with one another, teaching and learning, both about baking, and about our day as we talk while we work.   What a great opportunity it was for us when Jessica asked us to take pictures of our cookies for her blog.  I got to see a 7 year old read and accurately measure ingredients, and manage a kitchen.  She shared the tasks evenly among her siblings and asked for help when she was unsure of herself.  I am pleased to be able to take part in this coming of age story with my children.  I remember fondly the times I would bake gingerbread cookies with my grandmother.  I hope one day my children will look back fondly on these days as well.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie

1 cup margarine (I use butter)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1Tbsp hot water
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cup oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips

cream together margarine, sugars, eggs, water, vanilla

sift together dry ingredients (I always skip the sifting part ;)

Add dry to wet.  Add chocolate chips

Bake at 325-350 until barely turning brown - almost underdone.

Let cool, enjoy!

3 comments:

From The Heart Online said...

What a great post. Thanks for that, Jess.

Char - I'm telling you, you are a writer even if you don't think you are. Well put. Beautiful.

Jess Ehlers said...

Agreed. Thanks Char :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kim.

Jess- thank you for the opportunity to write a post for you.

Char