Friday, October 22, 2010

EcoShift

I've been putting off this post mainly because the photos I took are, ahem, less than professional.  Anyway...

The Jewish Federation of Winnipeg contacted me in Spring about their EcoShift event which was held on September 26th.  It was their first ever EcoShift, and they had a huge vision - to encourage the Jewish Community and all Winnipeggers to go green by hosting a day full of activities and an evening keynote address by Dr. David Suzuki.  I'm still in awe of Dov and Sarah who thought of the idea, brought together a committee and many volunteers, and pulled off a fantastic event.

My portion was to help with the evening.  There was a pre-event reception for event sponsors and VIP guests to mingle at the Shaarey Zedek.  Hors D'ouerves were passed around, featuring local ingredients and wild salmon.  Confession: I have never done this before, but on this night I snuck an hors d'ouerve every time I was in the kitchen...they were so, so good :)

After the pre-event reception, the keynote address began. Dr. Suzuki spoke about the things that matter - people, relationships, family.  He urged the audience to live simply and not strive for the next, bigger, better item.  He talked about the state of the environment and Canada's policies.  It was a wonderful speech and I overheard a lot of positive feedback.

I had a great time working on this event.  Thanks very much!

I just took a couple of pictures:

The centrepieces on the cocktail tables were wheatgrass and candles: 


This is the view from where I sat for the introduction.  
Dr. Suzuki is to the right of the big screen at the front: 

No comments: